Wednesday, June 20, 2007

hay hay hay


Yes, my neighboring farmer is actually cutting my hay field right now. I don't expect much in the way of results. Our grass was hurt by the late freeze....so it is short and it is pretty dry right now. According to the weather departmant we are on the edge of a drought area.

It looks like every year at this time we are in a drought area.

We discussed predators as we opened the fence to get the tractor into my field. He said some dogs are moving in the valley near him. Great! Like we don't have enough natural predators...now we have to watch for packs of dogs. They are the worst.

So I suppose I need to go practice my marksmanship soon.

I have been asked about the caped fleckets.

As far as I know there are only a few in existance here, and they are all in Pennsylvania. There was a caped flecket in the Sue Russo book....she had a question about wheather one big black spot could be called a flecket.

To describe the caped fleckets. Think of a white sheep with the front half black. I believe Sandy has several, they all have totally black faces and heads, and necks....and the black expends like a cape down the front shoulders of the sheep. Thus, "caped".

I checked my files and I don't have a photo from Sandy of this spotted type of sheep. the closest I have come to anything with a black face is Lyra....who has one side black and most of the other white.

2 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Thanks for the description of caped fleckets. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't that -- it sounds quite striking!

I hope you get a shot (or several) at the pack of dogs before they get a shot at your sheep. I'm pretty good with a .22; I'd come help if I lived closer. I've shot a lot of reptiles (before I moved to this mostly snake-free area); I've always thought shooting a mammal would be much harder. But if they were after my sheep, I think I would overcome that quickly!

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Alaska Shetland Shepherd said...

Oh my... hay... let's not go there. Time for me to blog too, I'm over-due...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home