Sunday, August 27, 2006

passing

I just heard the news that Bill of Sheltering Pines has passed. I know Bill has had a long seige of illness, and I'm glad that he passed surrounded by family.
Bill, like many of us, likely became a shepherd later in life. I met him my first trip to Michigan. Stephen was playing the organ at church, and our first tour of Sheltering Pines sheep was done by Bill. He knew as much as Stephen about the sheep, and was particularly excited about his fiber studio. It was plain that beside loving and caring for sheep....Bill loved working with their fiber. He already had several looms in his studio, but we helped him to move another later from it's spot on the second floor of Sheepy Hollow's beautiful home to a trailer for travel back to his studio. He was as enthusuiastic about the loom as the new sheep in the trailer.
I'm glad I had the opportunity to purchase a fine woven rug from Bill. It has a place of honor hanging at the office. I have always been afraid to put it on the floor. I didn't want to get dirt on the fine bright weaving design. I will always smile as I look at that work of art, and remember Bill as a good shepherd and loving artist.
For that is the best we can expect when we pass...as we all will....to be remembered fondly by someone for our talent, our kindness, and who we were.

1 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Blogger Nancy K. said...

..."For that is the best we can expect when we pass...as we all will....to be remembered fondly by someone for our talent, our kindness, and who we were."

Beautifully said, Mary Ellen! You are so very right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home