Tuesday, April 14, 2009

tea party!....no?...last lamb?

Here we are in the middle of the woods. Heh....
I meant to announce the last lamb on the ground. Well, we think it is the last one.
Count, three ram lambs, two ewe lambs.
Saving that first ewe is a little more important now.
I just looked, and we had a small horny ram lamb in with the girls on the 11th of January.
I thought it was late in the season.....but the first part of January could have meant some ewe was willing.
Let's count....Jan to Feb to march to april....the ewes if bred would only be three months along. Too early to see an udder. Oh well. I'll look next month.
On the subject of lambs, I had a nice lady call me about needing a bottle lamb to share barn space with her lonely angora goat bottle baby.

If there is anyone out there with a bottle ram they would like to foster on another shepherd....let me know. Last year I had several at the end of the season. I was really happy to have my favorite goat mom adopt one.

We are waiting for a call from the Ukraine yoday. Telling us that our future daughter-in-law is coming to America in a couple of weeks. That would be nice.
On the subject of weddings....we are planning that one the end of June. Any lambs born around the 11th of June would only be a couple of weeks old.
I know I am counting the lambs before they are for sure....But, I won't leave lambs here.... With or without the dogs....by themselves. Since we have no neighbors, I will need to place any pregnant ewes in May. So, if you are planning for an expansion of your feeding pastures, and want to adopt a lamb or two with their mom or not.....let me know. I may need a list of lamb sitting shepherds for the end of next month. Not panicing yet....just thinking ahead out-loud.
Can't shear here yet. We expect frost tomorrow. Then it is supposed to warm up for storms the end of the week. Been the coldest winter here since we arrived. Global warming...haa! I'm hoping for a few warm days before winter arrives again. Just think about our poor cold ancestors in the last little ice-age!
Well, best wishes for fat healthy lambs on your ground....the prettiest you have ever had!
Even four lambs can have jumping lamb races at my house. How about yours?

3 Comments:

At 10:27 AM, Blogger Kara said...

I know you haven't had time to do much blog reading, but you have to some by and see photos Bahama's lambs and more recent ones of Marshmello's and Cooper's twins. Too many to email. I am going to download lamb races on a new post right now so be sure to check back.

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Gail V said...

MaryEllen come to my blog, too! I have bottle lambs, but they need each other, so they can't go babysit any angora babies!
Hmmm, how the heck are you getting cold weather down there? We are rushing toward summer in MN.

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Alaska Shetland Shepherd said...

I went to see Marshmello - lovely girl and lambs!! And, Peeps, Augustine!!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home