Sunday, June 01, 2008

How are things going?

Right now....not well.
We lost 5 lambs this week, and I am concerned. I don't like to have my sheep eaten. I listened to mom calling for her baby boy all night. Now, baby boys may seem insignificant to us shepherds. Just so many un-salable boys to get rid-of in the fall. But to their moma sheep, they are precious.
We have penned them, cleaned their yellow butts, kept them in the right places with their moms, and in some cases, we even sell some of them.
I am in favor of life. I have to be in a special mood to cut down a tree....pull a weed....bring a flower inside. I am not happy with kitties right now. Given a clear shot, I could shoot at them.
But kitty stays just out of sight....conservation has promised to take action this week. I HATE leg hold traps. Our Hex, second oldest cat here, was trapped by a leg-hold, and let go.....by a very caring farmer. He lost a little foot, and a couple of his nine lives....but is a constant companion.
I know what could happen....we have to keep all nine cats inside....we have to chain up our outside dogs.....the kitty will likely get away, along with the kittens that have been feeding on my lambs.
We are waiting for two more ewes to lamb. If they are live lambs, I will worry about how long they will be able to live here. You know, the floods did change my mind about breeding sheep for lambs.....the kitty has reinforced my plans to sell or give away as many ewes and lambs as possible. At least the ones who could enjoy lambing another year, live safely with their lambs at least until they are three month old....and graze without being under water, or eaten by a wild animal.
I want to keep some ewes who are older and are my friends.....I could even see breeding one or two some year.....just to have bouncing lambs around. Maybe not....but I could "see it". One of my dreams last night was about a song called "guilt"....when I awoke, I laughed at myself. How typical, to intertwine our thoughts from the day into our dreams.

4 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger Cynthia said...

Mary Ellen,

I am so sorry for this continued trauma. When can you get up here? I have found a few homes here, let me know.
Cynthia

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Nancy K. said...

I am SO sorry for this onslaught of tragedies, Mary Ellen! I can't imagine living with the kind of dread that you must feel.

I wish you ~ and your flock ~ peace...

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Kara said...

I am so sorry Mary Ellen! I hope you are up for the trip to NY. Rest assured will give those 8 lots of TLC! I look forward to seeing you soon. I too wish you and your flock peace and love.

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Mountains who took my sheep at will would break my heart from shepherding, too, I fear. It seems so strange to hear of your troubles with a big cat in Missouri, of all places; here in Oregon they seem so much more "native."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home