Sunday, March 20, 2011

ohhhh blank..........oh well

Yes, they have done it again.....I have bags. Worse than that, I have an 11 year old off by herself for the second day. My hubby says it's OK, he has done this before. I'm not sure. Two years ago I had to learn how to tube. Go figure....ME!!
Last year I was present for the birth of twins. That went fine. They lived and grew. One, a ram is still here. he may be part of the problem. Of course they got out. They are shetlands. Shetlands always get out. I have learned the ewes never forget either. I hope they remember how to birth as well!
My one ray of hope is the memory of that day I caught the yearling ram. He was out of breath. My 14 year old ewe had been leading him a merry chase through the pasture. She remembered, and she wanted nothing to do with it. "Forget it Junior, she said....my lambing days are long behind me. Now, all I want is an animal cookie in the afternoon."
I wonder if an old shepherd is as good as a new shepherd. What I lack in enthusiasm, I have in experience. I used to expect....and raise....over 80 lambs each spring. Now, I know all the problems that could appear....and I watch with a wary eye, to catch the first signs that lamb is ready.
What else do I have to do? Well, I have half a yard still not raked....and the back of another yard stacked in wet leaves. I started putting stepping stones in the front yard. I have 7.....there are about 15 waiting . There is dirt around them....no grass yet. I want to plant corn....today! I may need to water the onions. The glads aren't in yet. I have branches to be burned. I have two kitchens with dirty dishes, and a third that needs to be torn out.
Do I need to spend the next three weeks watching lambs? Maybe. Will my other work wait? I suppose so. Hey, hubby.....what are you doing today? Can I go away for a few hours....or days?
If there are any shepherds out there. I hope your lambs are all healthy and beauthiful.

2 Comments:

At 4:00 AM, Blogger Angela Rountree said...

Oh, Hello! so glad to see you posting again!! As I was planning for this year's (reduced) lambing, I wondered how you are. Snowcone is (probably) retired but that doesn't stop her from claiming "Grande Dame" honors at petting time :-) I hope all your ewes and lambs are healthy this spring.
Take care,
Angela

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Alaska Shetland Shepherd said...

As always, I will glady buy a lamb this year! I love my fuzzy sheep and all of their unique markings and manners. Hopefully we'll see pics of a few lambs soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home