Monday, August 13, 2007

need a new home?

Well, it was cooler today....109 on Sunday....in the shade.....only in the 90's today....Which was good as we spent a lot of time climbing the hills behind the ram pasture on the south side. Yes, the cat got another one. Actually, we did finally find enough that the conservation guy took it home. Conservation was here in maybe an hour....pretty excited to have another kill.
That was good....but I was just a little disappointed to lose a spotted ram lamb this time. Poor boy.
So we have another two days of over 100 degrees to get thru. And it was only 8 days between kills. Which may mean we have a female feeding kittens....
So, I am wearing a gun again.....and looking up a lot. It is pretty easy to be brave during the day....it's my ranch, I know the fences....I know the trees....I know some of the hills. I have to feed and bring water during the day.
But in the dark....it's harder. I'm as worried about the dog being outside as the sheep. I'm not putting the puppy out over night yet....too hot during the day...likely too dangerous at night. No use killing her by letting her run.
I did just get a note from someone looking for spotted sheep. I may have to sell some. I kept a few spotted ewe lambs just for myself this year....like I usually do....and now, I think I should conside selling a few....I would rather sell them than have them eaten. I don't mind losing a few rams....but if this animal starts to look closer to the house for it's prey....that will be a problem.
If you hear of anyone in my area of Missouri...who can come out and look at sheep. Looks like I should sell some.

4 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Blogger Nancy K. said...

I am SO sorry, Marry Ellen! What a nightmare!!

You've got some incredibly beautiful sheep and I know that your prices are very reasonable so I'm sure you'll have no trouble selling them.

Be CAREFUL!!!

 
At 5:10 AM, Blogger Becky Utecht said...

Oh Mary Ellen, I'm so sorry to hear of your big cat problem. I can certainly understand you wanting to sell more rather than see them in danger. I hope you can get that cat ASAP. And I've been hearing about your hot weather on the news too. It must be awful dealing with that heat. Hang in there!

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Highland Hollow said...

You be careful out there! Big cat BIG trouble. I'm glad it's starting to cool off down there. My cousin just moved to MO. from Texas she says it is hotter than Texas.
Jane

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger shepherdchik said...

Oh mary ellen, I'm so sorry. Are you a good shot I hope? We have had cougars here before and actually spotted one in one of our trees before and I know what you mean about how alarming it is to be out at night alone. I always wonder how long it would take my husband to come look for me if a cougar actually got me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home