Wednesday, February 13, 2008

skating on thin ice




I remember skating during the winter of my 7th grade. We put on ice skates in the warming house....took off their rubber guards, and lurched across the rink in graceful sweeps.

Walking on ice is not the same. Especially when the ice rink tilts crazily down hill.
You may remember that I am not particularly fond of winter, period.
Well, I don't like it any better today...even tho the sun melted the satelite dish, and I can now get more than three channels.
I found some scant makings for a pizza, and a box of Christmas cherries in the back of the frig....that was not ever cleaned. Ha! Now, if I didn't have a giant fear of running out of diet coke, I would be fine. The mail man got here today. That is the first vehicle to go by since monday morning. At least there are no major trees blocking our escape.
If we get some warmth tomorrow, maybe the ice on the road will soften. I hope so.
The sheep are still barely wandering out of the barn. Their hoofs don't go into the ice...so they perch with feet close-together, trying to reach some melting sleet to drink.
I let a few cats out, but they keep coming back to scratch on the screen and come in.
In the city, if there was ice on the sidewalks, we walked in the snow, or folks put salt on them. We could walk a few blocks to 7-11, or some such place. Not out here.
Oh well, I have electricity, I can make more tea....I'll live.
Maybe.


3 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Your weather has been just unbelievable. Hang in there, and think of how it will be warm soon. Too warm!

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Now that you're posting photos again, I hope we see some of those pretty spotted sheep you raise!

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Gail V said...

Hi Peeps,
what wild weather you've had, I'm sorry. I haven't been reading blogs much and haven't figured out that sheep forum. . . so I enjoyed visiting your blog today and having a good long read. I enjoy your musings and opinions.
I hope all melts down there without a big mess, and look forward to hearing more from you. So how many lambies do you expect to have this year? I get the idea you're cutting back?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home