Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Full Moon

Guess it is a full moon week. We were doing pretty well with the ram downsize. We felt that we were making progress....even if it was slow. Do you ever see it coming? The full moon seems to have thrown me a curve. It has been a busy couple of weeks.
We were taking turns doing chores this afternoon. That meant it was dusk when my husband came back. He was feeding at the ram pen across the creek. "How many rams are supposed to be over there now?" I counted them on my fingers....by name. Three old guys, three yearlings, and four ram lambs. "Which one is missing?"
It didn't take us long after we got a flashlight. The rams were still eating grain in their pen. Closing them in, I scanned the hill for a dead ram. I already knew it was a ram lamb that was missing. Yup....found him. Well, what was left of him. Four piles of black wool tufts. Circular piles, showing where the cat had set the carcass down and pulled the wool off. It was dark now. I wasn't able to see if there was any evidence the cat had eaten parts on the way out of the pasture. The first pile was near the middle of the pasture...the last two were at the edge of the woods. I couldn't go any further in the dark. Not even with two guns....We opened the gate to the feeding pen. I wanted the remaining rams to be able to run away. No sense in closing them in. It will likely be a week or so before our cat comes back for more food. Maybe I can get the game camera set up by them. I sure would hate to lose a pregnant ewe. I didn't get a good count on the ewes this morning either. Darn....hope they are all there tomorrow.
Full moon....figures.

2 Comments:

At 8:36 AM, Blogger Karen said...

Sorry to hear about the ram lamb. What are the conservation officers doing to find this cat?

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Carol B said...

Oh! I hate to hear that the cat is back. How frustrating it is to have a predator picking off your sheep one by one and to not know how to stop it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home